This report presents actions the federal government should take to better align federal laws and policies with the goal of increasing the donation of safe surplus food. Don’t Waste, Donate offers 16 actionable recommendations spanning five key areas of federal policy that can increase the amount of safe, wholesome food donated to those in need. The report recommends policy changes that would:
- Enhance liability protections for food donations
- Improve federal tax incentives for food donations
- Standardize and clarify expiration date labels
- Better monitor and encourage food donation by federal agencies
- Modernize and clarify food safety guidance for food donations
The report also includes an appendix targeting specific recommendations directly to Congress, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.