How to Use this Site
Further with Food is a virtual resource center for stakeholders to easily find and share information about food loss and waste (FLW) in the United States and about proven solutions and innovative new approaches to reduce and manage it.
Answers to some commonly asked questions about the site are included below. If you have questions not answered here, please contact us at [email protected].
Resources listed on Further with Food provide information on the amount and impact of FLW in the United States along with information about proven and innovative solutions as well as ongoing challenges. The types of resources vary, from reports and data to videos and infographics. Inclusion of a resource is not an endorsement of the resource by members of the Further with Food partnership.
The resources included on the site have been submitted by a wide range of stakeholders, including members of the Further with Food partnership (see About this Site to view the current list of partners). If you have a resource you would like to add to Further with Food, please visit the Share Resources page.
There are two easy ways to find resources on this site:
Using the Search box
Enter keywords in the Search box at the top-right of any page. If your search term matches an existing filter value or tag already in use on the site, you’ll see that value appear as you type. Either select one of these matching values, or finish typing your intended search term and hit Enter or click the magnifying glass icon. You’ll see a page with results of your search.
Using the “Find Resources” function
You can also browse through resources based on a variety of filters, including Topic, Audience, Source, Type, Author and Tag. To begin browsing resources, choose one of the following methods:
- From the navigation bar at the top of any page, select the “Find Resources” drop-down menu, which allows you to choose one of the Topic or Audience values from the menu. The page that appears next will include all resources for the one topic or audience you selected.
- On the homepage, scroll down to the purple “Find Resources” box section. Clicking on this box lets you see all resources included on the site. It then allows you to filter further.
For both options, you can narrow your search by selecting additional filters on the left-hand side of the screen by Topic, Audience, Source, Type, Authors, and/or Tags.
If you only want to see resources for a particular subfilter, you will need to “uncheck” the broader, top-line filter to see the narrower set of resources. Or, you could select the “Reset” link at the top of the left-side menu to “uncheck” all filters and subfilters – and then check the subfilter of interest.
Next to each filter is a number. That number represents the number of resources submitted with that particular filter or subfilter.
Please note that the filter logic applies an “AND” logic across top-level filters, but an “OR” logic across subfilters within a filter. For example:
- If you choose “Prevention / Reduction” under Topic and “Farmer” under Audience, then the AND logic is applied and you’ll see only those resources that have BOTH of those filters applied to them (the intersection of the two sets).
- By comparison, if you choose two (or more) subfilters within a filter, for instance, “Upcycling” and “Tax Benefits” the OR logic is applied and you’ll see resources that have EITHER of those filters applied to them (the sum of the two sets).
To clear all filters and see all available Resources, select the “Reset” link at the top of the left-side menu.
To go back to the home page, click on the Further with Food logo at the top of the page on the left hand-side.
Select the “Share Resources” link on the navigation bar at the top of any page. You’ll be directed to a form where you’re asked to provide information about the resource, as well as the resource itself.
Please note that all fields marked with a red asterisk are required in order to submit your resource. For additional information about each field, view the instructions provided next to the field.
All Resources submitted to this should be non-partisan, factually correct, not lobby for a particular cause or person, not violate food safety regulations or endanger public health, or contain content that could be considered libel or slanderous. Please note that inclusion of a resource does not represent an endorsement or reflect the view of the organizations involved in this effort, or that of the United States government, either individually or collectively. The Further with Food team may contact you with additional questions about what you’ve submitted, and will contact you once your submission has been reviewed. If approved, your Resource will be published to the site so others may access it.
Virtually any type of resource can be included on Further with Food, including written documents and reports; infographics and other images; and websites, videos and podcasts.
When submitting your resource on the Share Resources page, choose the corresponding type in the “Resource Format” question:
- Audio/Video: you can upload an audio or video file using the “Choose File” button, but preferably, please paste a URL for a location where the file is already hosted in the “Enter URL” field under “Media.” This could be, for example, a YouTube or Vimeo page or recording of a webinar.
- File: to share a file – a PDF document or PowerPoint presentation, for example – choose “File” under “Resource Format,” then click the “Choose File” button to navigate for the file location and upload it to the site. Files should be in commonly accessible formats – PDF or Microsoft Office format, for example.
- Image: if your resource is an image – an infographic or photograph, for example, click the “Choose File” button to upload your image. The file should be in commonly accepted image file formats: .jpg, .png, .gif, .tiff, etc.
- Website URL: if your resource is a website, please paste the URL for the site in the space provided.
If you have a question about uploading a specific resource, please contact us at [email protected].
To delete a Resource that you previously submitted, please contact us at [email protected] and request the change.
To make a minor change or update (for example, if you’d like to add or remove a Topic value, or change a word in the Resource title), please contact us at [email protected] and request the change. It would be helpful if you include a link to the current Resource page in your message, and please be as specific as possible about the change you would like made.
If you have several changes to make, or if you need to resubmit a new version of a Resource, please fill out the form on the Share Resources page again with all of the new information included. Please then contact us at [email protected] to let us know that you’ve resubmitted a resource, so the team knows to remove your previous version of the resource.
If you have questions or suggestions regarding a specific Resource found on the Further with Food website, look for a point of contact on the Resource page (if someone has agreed to provide their name as a point of contact, the person’s name and/or email address it will appear on the right side of the page). Please note that providing a contact name is voluntary, so not every Resource will have a name displayed.
If you have questions about the Further with Food site itself, please contact us at [email protected].